Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I am making chili...

And my house smells amazing right now!  We still had a bunch of turkey to used up and I wanted to make a pot of something hot in this cold COLD weather.  I started browsing my favorite recipe site, allrecipes.com and found this one for Turkey Lentil Chili, which sounds so yummy.   After reading the reviews and a few other recipes, I made a few changes...

Ingredients


2 cups dry lentils (I used a whole bag, not sure if it was more than two cups)

2 quarts vegetable broth (I used 3 quarts of homemade turkey stock)

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I substituted bacon drippings)

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 large onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped ( used what I had in the fridge, about 6 stalks)

1 pound turkey sausage (substituted a LOT of chopped turkey, white and dark meat)

2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (used one can of diced tomatoes and the juice)

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon ground cumin (I used 2 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes

sea salt to taste

1 (8 ounce) container plain lowfat yogurt

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnish


**Here's what I added that wasn't in the recipe**

1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained

1 1/2 tsp chipotle Tobasco sauce

1 1/2 tsp Worchesterchire sauce

1 tsp finely chopped jalepenos

1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp poultry seasoning

Directions

1.Bring lentils and vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 10 minutes.

2.Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic, onion, celery, and sausage; cook and stir until the sausage is crumbly and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, turmeric, cumin, thyme, and red pepper flakes; cook 5 minutes more.

3.Stir the sausage mixture into the simmering lentils. Continue simmering until the lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Garnish each serving with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of chopped parsley to serve.


And here it is simmering on my stovetop, mmmmmmmmmmmm....



1 comment:

  1. Yum, Shasta! It looks amazing. And turkey and lentils...healthy, too! TFS!

    ReplyDelete