Saturday, June 5, 2010

Cute little craft!

These first pics aren't so hot, because they are from my phone, but Adrian is such a cutie pie even in bad pics ;)

She asked me today why she didn't have any headbands, so I whipped one up.  I had a few fat quarters of fabric that all matched, so I used three pieces.  One for the flower, for the leaves, and for the band.  I don't have any specific measurements, because I just free-handed it all ;)  I will try to describe it as best I can!



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one is better, I took it on my regular camera.
Photobucket

Flower:

I cut a strip about 4 x 11, and folded it in half so I ended up with a long strip (roughly 2 x 11, wrong sides out). I sewed along one short end, down a long end, and then down the last short end, and folded it right side out, and top-stitched over the same 3 sides again. Then I used a needle and thread and put a wide gathering stitch in the raw edge, and pulled it tight and added a few stitches to secure it. I hot glued the button on top, and all done!
Leaves:
I cut 3 leaf shapes out of 2 pieces of fabric placed back to back wrong side out, and sewed along the sides leaving the bottom edge open. Then turn them right side out and top-stitched the same sides, and then gathered and secured the raw edge, just like the flower.

Headband:
This one was a little tricky! I cut 2 strips of fabric off the end of the fat quarter about 2 inches wide. They ended being roughly 2 x 11, and I sewed them together to make one long strip. This was approx 2 x 22, and then folded it in half (wrong side out) to make a 1 x 22 inch strip, and sewed along the raw edges to make a tube. I had a little trouble turning it inside out, but my hubs saved the day!  He went out to his garage and finding me a piece of wire about as thick as a coat hanger and made the end hooked for me. It worked great! I fed the wire through the tube, then hooked the fabric on the end hook, and slowly pulled it right side out.
Assembly:
So all the parts were done, and the elastic was the only thing I really measured, and I just wrapped it around Adrian's head and cut. No idea how long it was! I put a safety pin on the end of the elastic and fed it through the tube, and then sewed then ends together by hand. Once they were sewn, I let the tube kind of adjust itself around the elastic, and then just hid the to raw ends of the tube right under the flower that I sewed on last, easy peasy!

3 comments:

  1. how freaking adorable Shasta. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shasta your crafting is really cool...
    thank you for sharing this .:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like this website, this really helps and very useful.
    i appreciate your blog.Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete