Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Green" Grocery Bags

Since my first bag the other day, I decided to use Google and see what kind of patterns I could find. The idea of using my stash of misc fabrics to make grocery bags for myself sounded appealing. I came across this information and was blown away!

"...data released by the United States Environmental Protection Agency in 2001 on U.S. plastic bag, sack, and wrap consumption, somewhere between 500 billion and a trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide each year. Of those, millions end up in the litter stream outside of landfills—estimates range from less than one to three percent of the bags."

Wowzers! I know how many are cluttering up my kitchen right now, ack.

So now I am for sure maing my own grocery bags. I think I may even find some fun and funky fabrics at J's and list a few on Etsy!

Here are a couple I made today


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Yeah, I noticed the pattern was upside down AFTER I cut it, oops!

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hey - I want a Spongebob bag too. I hate that it is Senna's fav. cartoon but what can you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those!! Fantastic idea!!

    ReplyDelete